Catacomb is a WebDAV repository module for use
with the Apache WebDAV module, mod_dav.
Apache mod_dav parses WebDAV and DeltaV protocol requests into operations on
a repository providing persistent storage of resources and their properties.
The default repository for mod_dav is provided by a separate module,
mod_dav_fs, which stores resource bodies as files in the filesystem, and
stores properties in a (G)DBM database.
provides a replacement for mod_dav_fs called mod_dav_repos
that stores resources and their properties in a relational database using mod_dbd from
the apache project for database abstraction.
The primary advantage of this approach is the searching capabilities of the
database are used to implement the DASL protocol. Additionally, the database
allows straightforward implementation of the versioning capabilities of the
By shifting to relational database technology, Catacomb is a platform that
contains important aspects of typical document management systems: the
ability to store large numbers of documents, and search over their metadata.
Furthermore, it is possible (via source code modification) to change the set
of predefined properties stored in the main schema of the relational
database. Properties in the main schema are faster to search.
This project is the first open source implementation of the DASL and DeltaV(linear versioning) protocols.
We plan on tracking the evolution of this protocol.
Features provided by Catacomb:
- Class 1, 2 features from RFC 2518
- Storage of arbitrary client-defined dead properties
- Support for live properties defined in RFC 2518
- DASL protocol - (as defined by draft-reschke-webdav-search-00) for searching over live and dead properties using the DAV:basicsearch grammar
- Subset of DeltaV protocol from RFC 3253 (linear versioning)
- Supports VERSION-CONTROL, CHECKIN, CHECKOUT, UNCHECKOUT, REPORT methods
Features not currently supported by Catacomb:
- Searching of resource content
- Searching version resource or version history resource
- Query Schema Discovery
- Searching of nested dead properties
- Workspace, Baselines, Activities
- Version 0.9.6 - 5/08/08
- Added database abstraction with mod_dbd from apache versions > 2.2.6
- Some more bugs fixed. See CHANGES file for more details.
For older versions or a more detailed changelog please go to the Catacomb Archives
If you want to migrate your data from a previous version of catacomb running with mysql to a more recent one with another database backend, this catacomb-database-migration script may help you: catacomb_database_migration.tar.gz
Take a look at our development Roadmap
Catacomb is an Open Source project, and we welcome your participation.
lists or take a look at our development
Last updated Aug 05, 2008 by Markus Litz DLR