Re: [Catacomb] Road Map

Chris Knight wrote:

Elias Sinderson wrote:

Supporting all DBMS seems a little unrealistic to me - How will we support Oracle (for example) without even being able to pay for the license ourselves? It seems like scoping this goal to only support available DBMS is more reasonable...

How about: Support MySQL, PostgreSQL (the two biggest Open Source players.) But, more importantly, develop generic API for integration with other RDBMS's so those who have Oracle or Sybase or MSSQL or whatnot can develop their components, provide a common space for RDBMS component developers to share their code. (Akin to the JDBC model.)

This seems quite a bit more resonable than supporting "all DBMS".

Or, another option, would be to piggy-back on top of another generic API (like http://libdbi.sourceforge.net ) ...

I'll have to look at this...

Add (at a high priority, IMHO) external file storage. The 16MB *total* size limit of a database will seriously hinder serious adoption of Catacomb.

Thanks, this slipped my mind in my last reply, but is hugely important. When MySQL 4.x comes out and supports up to 2GB (if I recall correctly), we can make this optional as a compile-time switch.

... I'd place a higher importance on ACL than Delta-V. The specification is more mature, and much easier to implement. ...

Depends entirely on what you consider ACL implementation. Catacomb will not be able to manipulate the permissions of documents in the filesystem, but it might be possible to map ACLs to permissions in MySQL. 'course, that would mean it would be MySQL-specific.

Yes, this is what I mean.

I've developed ACL logic for other projects and it's not that hard (and we can steal the logic even though it's written in Java.) I would propose that ACLs be stored in tables in the db, and methods would have to enforce the ACLs. The protocol is fairly straightforward, but has a multitude of options that we might want to implement.

We should discuss this at a later date, after we've all had the chance to review the ACL specification and have a solid v1.0 release of Catacomb that supports the complete DASL and WebDAV specifications, external storage of files and DBMS abstraction layer...

Elias