[Catacomb] catacomb implementation,WebDAV and database

I am new in WebDAV and I have lots of questions. We have plan to support
WebDAV on our Filecabinent feature in our product.
I was reading in WebDAV and noticed that catacomb's archetecture is similar
to what we are thinking. Our current thinking is

Microsoft Web Folder <---> java servlet (WebDAV servlet) <--> oracle
database.

My question is that what was the reason that catacomb uses a temporary
staging area for files before they are saved into or pulled from
MySQL?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Liu
NetLedger, Inc.