- Project tools
- How do I...
|Over 500 more tools...
[Catacomb] external storage of document data
All, we've implemented external storage of file contents for Catacomb
and I'd like to discuss merging it back into the main Catacomb release.
It's fairly straightforward, however there is one (philosophical?)
decision to make. I'd like to hear your opinions and see if this
activity is already underway by someone else.
Should the names/organization in the filesystem mirror the structure in
Catacomb? Another option is files can be stored in a hashed directory
structure based on the document id.
Advantages of mirroring the structure in the fs:
* easy to understand
* can be interacted with outside of DAV
* performance of containers with many (thousands) resources and for
very deep container hierarchies
* hard to divide between filesystems (a useful operation as the DAV
* requires a filesystem operation for MOVE operations
* how to store multiple versions of a document?
* changes outside of the DAV interface should be mirrored back into DAV
* limited to the character set restrictions of the fs (or need to store
the filesystem name of the file)
FYI, I used to work on a web-based document management system and we
moved from mirroring the structure to using a hash structure to resolve
problems that occurred when people did many move operations. Conversely,
our Catacomb server we are working with here at NASA mirrors the
structure into the filesystem (and I may work on a system to mirror back
into Catacomb when changes are performed on the fs.)