[Catacomb] reason for dasl_resource and version_resource as separate tables?

I've been working on the latest Catacomb code and I have a question. Why are there the dasl_resource and version_resource as separate tables? The columns are almost identical with the exception of the version column (and the isversioned column). A simple solution would be to use the same table and assume that a null version would be for non-versioned resources and would greatly reduce the number of "if versioned, alter version_resource, otherwise alter dasl_resource" code. Same goes for version_property.

I'm likely overlooking something obvious. ;^)

Also, I would like to replace the getetag column with something that is generated on the fly (based on serialno, version, and perhaps a third integer column that would be incremented upon each replacement/update.)