[Catacomb] DASL and pluggable-db

Hi,

I just searched the Subversion developer mailing list for any discussion of the DASL (DAV Searching and Locating) protocol and, surprisingly, the only discussion I found was within a very recent thread [1]. As one of the original architects of the Catacomb project [2], and specifically the DASL support implemented in the search module called from mod_dav_dbms, I have a high degree of interest in this functionality. Hopefully you'll tolerate questions from someone who is only moderately familliar with the Subversion architecture. :-)

Glen Thompson mentions the issue of providing a pluggable DB layer before addressing DASL-like functionality. I'm curious as to the reason Glen feels this way - is there a compelling architectural reason for this? We took the opposite approach wrt Catacomb, implementing DASL support first, and now are beginning to address pluggable DB backends. The Catacomb DB schema is simpler than that of Subversion, yet a layer of indirection could be provided in supporting DASL such that a search handler is provided along with the DB access layer needed to support a given DB? Bolting on search after designing pluggable-db would seem to require some reengineering effort because the way DASL is implemented will depend largely on the storage layer implementation.

I'll make an attempt to follow the pluggable-db discussion as it evolves, hopefully we'll be able to support eachother in this parallel effort to some degree.

Cheers,
Elias

[1] Beginning of thread is at <http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=35960>, but mentions DASL in <http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=35969> [2] <http://webdav.org/catacomb/> Note that the posted architecture document is somewhat out of date wrt the current release.