[Catacomb] gcc compile error -- -KPIC

i am trying to compile catacomb-0.8.0 on solaris 8
using gcc.

i have apache 2.0.44 and mysql 4 installed and running.
apache is configured for shared  mods and dav is enabled.

following step 3 of the README,

configure --prefix=/barf/catacomb --with-apache=/barf/apache --with-mysql=/barf/mysql4

this seems to work ok, finding apache and mysql.

then, make generates:

gcc: unrecognized option '-KPIC'

i have never had gcc urp on me this way before.....

i scanned the archives, but didn't find any previous posts.

help?

thanks
lloyd knight

Lloyd J. Knight