[Catacomb] guidance requested - how to get handler to work with GET in mod_dav_fs

I'd like to have handlers (from the http_request module, created by the Action and AddHandler directives) properly handle output sent from the mod_dav_fs module (with DEBUG_GET_HANDLER turned on.)

For example, if mod_dav_fs handles a GET to a "text/html" file and I've added "Action text/html /cgi-bin/footer.cgi", it should hand off the html document to the footer.cgi script for further processing.

Is it the responsibility of the module responding to the GET to hand off to these handlers or should this be the default/core behavior of Apache?

If not, can someone point me in the direction of how to hand off to a http_request handler?

This functionality is critical for mod_dav backends.

TIA!