Re: [Catacomb] [PROPOSAL] Catacomb joining Apache

> Yes, I believe that UCSC would be the original copyright holder.

That's my understanding as well. I had a discussion concerning open source software copyrights with UCSC's chief IP person in early January, and he is very much open to freeing the IP for open source projects (i.e., he "gets it" when it comes to open source).  That said, there is still some work that needs to be done to ensure that there is a written statement about the copyright on the code.

I can take on this task, though it will likely not be very fast.

IMO, we should certainly work on all other issues related to getting Catacomb ready to join ASF, including changing our documentation, and developing the application materials.

As for a champion, it seems to me we should have little trouble getting either Greg Stein or Roy Fielding (among others) in advocating the project within ASF.

- Jim