[Catacomb] RE: Catacomb run-time problem

In follow-up to my own post, I discovered that a process was crashing, so
downloaded an earlier version of Apache (2.0.50) and recompiled against it.
One trying to run Apache now I get an undefined symbol error on "compress"
from within the dav_repos module. Any ideas there?

To allow me to progress, I defined a dummy method, and these two things
combined have stopped the crash. However, I now get a "mySQL server has gone
away" in the error log. It actually has not (uptime is still ticking onwards
quite happily) and I can connect using the mysql client application and the
test application.

Did a search on the mySQL website and tried increasing the
max_allowed_packet but this made no difference.

Any ideas? The error I now see on cadaver is

Could not access /repos/ (not WebDAV-enabled?):
207 Multi-Status

but based on the contents of the httpd error-log I guess this is incorrect.
It looks like it is trying to access repos but failing.

Help!

Thanks, Graham